ZOMG: IPv6 a plot to stymie FBI !!!11!ONE!

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jun 18 03:23:21 UTC 2012

>>> This is a law enforcement problem and I feel it should be properly
>>> solved by a legal solution,
>> Worst case solution.  Guaranteed.
> So again, please propose a better one and save us, because you know
> this is what will happen. :)

<soapbox>

  o terms such as "regulation" and "governance" presuppose a centralized
    hierarchic view of the universe.  the internet has grown, exploded,
    and constructively disrupted because we "coordinate" and we
    "cooperate."  those who wish to stifle growth and disruption (of
    their saurian business models) try to get us to assume the culture
    of control, centralization, and hierarchy.

  o to quote jeff schiller
      Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.  Where it is easy,
      it's called a police state.

  o so my interest in accurate registry data is not for law enforcement,
    the mpa, riaa, et alia.  it is so we can better and more efficiently
    operate the internet.

  o i want to be able to contact the routing, abuse, whatever desks of
    the isp responsible for some address space.  i have no desire to
    contact a dsl consumer as they have no fracking clue.  the routing
    and abuse desks of the isp are sufficiently daunting.

  o if we believe ipv6 space to be effectively infinite, then the rirs
    really do not need to know usage data, do they?  <smirk>

randy