ZOMG: IPv6 a plot to stymie FBI !!!11!ONE!

Vinny Abello vinny at abellohome.net
Mon Jun 18 02:46:21 UTC 2012

On 6/17/2012 10:22 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On 6/17/12, Joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> resources were delegated to them. future prefix assignments will
>> clearly require that the demonstrate utilization much as they are
>> required to in ipv4.
>
> Sure. But they don't necessarily have to have WHOIS listings up to
> date in order to successfully demonstrate utilization; it is possible
> they provide private documentation or utilize the spreadsheet method
> of demonstrating utilization, without publishing details in WHOIS,
> and indicate they themselves serve as contact.
>

> The IP address WHOIS database is a system for identifying valid
> network contacts to report connectivity and operational issues to,
> and the contact listed in WHOIS for a network does not necessarily
> have to be an organization capable of identifying an individual user
> or customer.
>
> WHOIS is not a system for tracing IP addresses down to an individual
user level,
> not with IPv6, not with IPv4.
Thanks for clearly stating this, Jimmy. This is largely my point with
WHOIS as well, although I may not have expressed it clearly.

Along the same lines, WHOIS is not Geolocation (as poorly as that
technology works, frequently because it's partly or mostly built on
WHOIS data to begin with). The registered place of business an
assignment points to, which may be completely accurate for valid network
contacts at a company headquarters, doesn't dictate satellite offices
are at the same address, city, state or country which may make up 90% of
the use of the entire allocation... just as one example. This is
abundant in enterprises.

-Vinny