ZOMG: IPv6 a plot to stymie FBI !!!11!ONE!

Vinny Abello vinny at abellohome.net
Sun Jun 17 20:01:57 UTC 2012

On 6/15/2012 11:59 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57453738-83/fbi-dea-warn-ipv6-could-shield-criminals-from-police/
>
> <sigh>
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
I fail to see the problem the media and FBI are worried about. If the
regional registries are accurately documenting who they are allocating
assignments to, the authorities have somewhere to start. Even if
everything is properly documented via SWIP or WHOIS, the FBI requests
far more information in a subpena from ISP's than is provided by those
tools and I don't think they generally really even rely on them to be
accurate. They go straight to the ISP from what I've seen. They don't
want the criminal to know the FBI is on to them and won't first go
direct to the end user. A /64, /56 or even /48 will be one customer, so
regardless if a criminal keeps changing IP's inside those blocks, it
still points to that customer which the ISP can provide to the FBI.
Where is the issue? I don't see how this is that hard to track down.
What's the difference with an ISP that didn't SWIP an IPv4 /29
allocation to a company with all RFC1918 space behind the address.
<sarcasm> How oh how will they ever find the criminal within all of that
IPv4 address space behind the ISP assigned /29 without someone
documenting the RFC1918 space in the customer's network??!?! </sarcasm>

If anything, I feel like this is a ploy by the FBI feeding the media to
get criminals to adopt IPv6 thinking they're harder to track and drop
their guard so they'll be easier to catch.

-Vinny