best practives multi-homed BGP 2 physical locations

david peahi davidpeahi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 01:40:11 UTC 2012

I'm fortunate to have a /16, and advertise 2 /18s from the primary, and 4
/17s from the backup collo, /16 from both with AS Prepend on backup /16,
and depend on BGP longest prefix route selection to create symmetric
Internet routing back to my locations. I run IBGP between geographically
diverse locations internally, over an L2 VLAN extended over a GiGE dot1q
trunk. Internet-facing load-balancers select the best server from
distributed server farms spread across the 2 sites.
I think this is a fairly standard configuration.