Article: IPv6 host scanning attacks

Fernando Gont fernando at gont.com.ar
Wed Jun 13 17:42:41 UTC 2012

On 06/13/2012 02:28 PM, Dave Hart wrote:

>> The aforementioned article is available at:
>> <http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/Analysis-Vast-IPv6-address-space-actually-enables-IPv6-attacks>
>

> "published" and "available" are misleading at best.

It is not. Just scroll down the page, and you'll find the whole article.
-- it was easy to talk crap than to do that, right?

> The article is
> teased with a sentence and a half, truncated by a demand for an
> email address with tiny legalese mentioning a privacy policy and
> terms of use that undoubtedly would take far longer to read than
> Gont's valuable content.

You don't need to read that to scroll the page down past it.

>> (FWIW, it's a human-readable version  of the IETF Internet-Draft I
>> published a month ago or so about IPv6 host scanning (see:
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning>))
>
> I guess I'll take a look at this to see what you're smoking.

I find it amazing the number of people that will talk crap when one
publishes something when compared to the number of people that provides
technical comments or criticism (even if it's "you're completely wrong
because of this and that).

Read the article. Have something to add or complain about the technical
contents? -- Do it. But otherwise try to keep a good signal/noise ratio,
please.

>> You can get "news" about this sort of stuff by following
>> @SI6Networks on Twitter.
>
> "news" in quotes is appropriate given it's really eyeball harvesting
> for marketing purposes.

Please do the math regarding the number of posts/tweets announcing
publications to the number of posts/tweets doing marketing (probably
just those about trainings). Then comment.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando at gont.com.ar || fgont at si6networks.com