[NANOG-announce] Board Member Replacement Process - close June 20 23:59 PDT

Sylvie LaPerriere sylvie at newnog.org
Wed Jun 13 01:58:51 UTC 2012

*Colleagues,

If you are interested in the board replacement position please read on, if
not, you may stop now.

Following our announcement, many of you are pinging me to serve as the
replacement on the Board.  Your interest in our organization is amazing and
truly encouraging!

The process for Board replacement is laid out in our bylaws in Section 8.7.
and the intent is to keep a functioning Board running until the next
elections.  Per our presentation at the NANOG 55 Community meeting we have
a full list of deliverables until then.  So basically the replacement
position is 5-8 hours/week of volunteering inclusive of regular board
meetings.

8.7 Vacancies
If a Board of Directors member resigns or a Board of Directors seat
otherwise becomes
vacant more than two months before the next election, the remaining members
of the
Board of Directors will appoint a replacement to serve until the next
election, at which
point if there is any additional time remaining in the term a member will
be elected to
fill the vacancy. If a vacancy occurs less than two months before an
election, the seat
will remain vacant until the election

As we are more than 2 months away from our next elections, the Board has to
appoint a replacement (a member in good standing) for the interim.  The
replacement will serve on the Board until the next election only.
 Continuance on the Board will be dependent on being properly elected next
October, per our election process described in Section 8. Board of
Directors.

Who are we looking for?

*
*The short answer is ‘a good election candidate (per the below)’ plus ‘a
high degree of familiarity with NANOG’.

A good candidate will have experience with Internet engineering,
operations, and governance organizations as well as the principles and
practices which guide them.   A strong candidate should have experience
with NANOG through meeting attendance, meeting presentations, serving on a
committee, and have been an active member of the NANOG mailing list for a
minimum of 3 years.  Consensus organizing, leadership, outreach and
communication skills are prized, and a willingness to be engaged in the
governance process is required.   A board member (committee liaisons) is
expected to volunteer 5 hours per week while a board  officer (Chair,
vice-chair, treasurer, secretary) is expected to volunteer 5-8 hours per
week, all year round.

How do you apply?

We are reaching out to members and if you want to be a candidate for this
replacement with a term of about 3 months, please write to
board at newnog.orgbefore June 20 23:59 PDT and state your name, your
affiliation and describe
your readiness, your ability (check with your employer if you can afford
the time!) and motivation to serve for this interim.   You will have to
demonstrate familiarity with our activities and be available to attend our
bi-weekly Board meetings held Fridays from 14:00-15:00 EDT from June 22 to
September 28. (sorry, we cannot move the time to suit your schedule - you
are jumping on a cruising ship.)

How is the selection made?

The Board will review the candidacies and appoint. Decision will be final
and announced on June 22 to nanog-announce at nanog.org.

There is more than the replacement position. Bear in mind that the election
process will be initiated in early August when we will have 3 vacant board
positions to fill. Check http://www.nanog.org/governance/elections/ late
July and we will communicate the elections process via
nanog-announce at nanog.org.

We trust this answers your questions about the replacement and thank you
for your consideration and interest for NANOG.

Sylvie*

--

Sylvie LaPerriere

NANOG Chair   -  www.nanog.org