IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Tue Jun 12 08:16:19 UTC 2012

Karl Auer wrote:

> BTW, I'm assuming here that by "multicast filtering" you mean "switching
> that properly snoops on MLD and sends multicast packets only to the
> correct listeners".

Errrrr, do you want to say MLD noise is not a problem?

> On this point I think you are wrong. Except for router advertisements,
> most NDP packets are sent to a solicited node multicast address, and so
> do NOT go to all nodes. It is "the same as broadcast" only in a network
> with switches that do not do MLD snooping.

But, MLD packets must go to all routers.

>>> So I'm not sure how DAD traffic would exceed ARP traffic.
>>
>> I wouldn't expect it to.
>
> Nor would I - which was the point of my response to an original poster
> who said it might.

For the original poster,

: I've seen links with up to 15k devices where ARP represented
: a significant part of the link usage, but most weren't (yet) IPv6.

MLD noise around a router is as bad as ARP/ND noise.

That's how IPv6 along with SLAAC is totally broken.

						Masataka Ohta