Dear Linkedin,

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Jun 11 18:35:46 UTC 2012

>From someone who supplies an out-of-country drivers license, I'd request to
>see their passport. From someone who supplies an out-of-state drivers
>license, I'd probably accept it, but the risks there are somewhat reduced at
>least.

OK, someone shows you a Quebec driver's license.  You ask for a
passport, she says, I don't have one, and points at the blue word Plus
after the words Permis de Conduire at the top of the license.  Now
what?

Although banks have different tradeoffs in risk management than you
might like, they're not dumb.  I expect they figured that the increased
volume from not slowing down transactions and demanding more than makes
up for whatever the increased fraud.  This theory is reinforced by my
observation that at my local supermarket, they don't even ask for the
signature that they don't look at for purchases under $50.

R's,
John