Dear Linkedin,

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Jun 11 02:11:04 UTC 2012

 > > Eliminating fraud isn't an objective of card issuers.  Making money is.
 > > Fraud reduction is only done when the savings from the reduced fraud
 > > exceeds both the cost of the fraud preventing measure and any revenue
 > > that is lost because of inconveniencing customers.
 >
 > Right, but eliminating fraud should be an objective of consumers because
 > ultimately, we are the ones paying for it regardless of who "eats it" on the
 > actual transaction.

This applies just as well to fraud-prevention measures, a cost is a
cost is a cost, your perceived morality of the cost makes no
difference, money is fungible! Which means, money doesn't care! You'd
have to make up the cost of all that fraud-prevention in the same way.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada