Dear Linkedin,

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Jun 10 21:45:51 UTC 2012

A few years ago I had a checkbook stolen. The genius bank branch
decided it was sufficient to just print new checks starting at a much
higher number and "put it in the system" rather than cancel the
account number. I protested but hey so long as they were responsible
for any fraud*.

Then thousands of dollars of cashed checks began appearing.

What was amusing was they each had info like my driver's license
number and date of birth carefully hand-printed on them.

EXCEPT, it wasn't *my* driver's license # or date of birth, it was all
just kinda random.

Which led us to believe (when talking to bank security) that they just
have friends who work as cashiers, these were all at places like
Wal-Mart, big retail stores, who just accept the bad checks for a cut.

I agree it's all a matter of percentages but it says something about
putting photos on credit cards etc.

I had something similar happen with business checks (a small vendor
was burglarized), similar result and conclusion: The crooks were
working with bank tellers or other insiders, they even knew the magic
amounts at each branch beyond which more security checks kick in,
again, according to the bank security people I was clearing this up
with.

* I sort of regretted that because they managed to burn up quite a few
hours of my time when it all went bad. They've got you at that point,
show up here, show up now, fill out all these affidavits, etc or we
won't cover the fraud.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada