Dear Linkedin,

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Jun 10 19:51:14 UTC 2012

> It is far preferable for the merchant to request ID and verify that the
> signature matches the ID _AND_ the picture in the ID matches the
> customer.

In the late 1990s I had a Visa card from (I think) Citibank that had my
picture embossed on the front of the card.  I'm surprised this didn't
catch on with more card issuers.  I see that Bank of America offers this
free of charge to their Visa clients, as do some US based credit unions.

That card was never lost or stolen, so I don't know if the photo
verification would fail as spectacularly as signatures do.

--lyndon