Dear Linkedin,

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jun 10 19:29:46 UTC 2012

The credit card companies should pull their heads out of their asses about this.

It is much better from an anti-fraud perspective for a stolen card not to contain a specimen signature for the thief to learn to forge.

It is far preferable for the merchant to request ID and verify that the signature matches the ID _AND_ the picture in the ID matches the customer.

I've never had my card refused because I wrote SEE ID on the signature panel in lieu of my signature. I have been frequently asked for my ID and make a point of thanking the merchant for their diligence in each of those cases.

I've only had one merchant get a little persnickety about the lack of a signature technically invalidating the card. I basically explained why I did it that way and informed them that they could cancel the transaction if they didn't like my methods. They chose not to cancel the transaction.
(Which was a rather significant sale in a relatively small shop)

Owen

Sent from my iPad