Dear Linkedin,

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Jun 10 10:58:56 UTC 2012

If your card is not signed, your card is invalid and should not be
accepted by any merchant.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/MerchantAcceptanceGuide_Manual.pdf

Page 8-2; "Unsigned Credit Cards".  VISA has similar requirements.

Writing "SEE ID" in the signature panel primarily makes your card invalid
*unless* your signature is also present.

One of the design goals of the V/MC system is that a cardholder is not
supposed to need anything other than their card and the ability to sign.
The comparison of the signature provided to the card signature is
supposed to be one of the primary ways to validate a cardholder, but of
course these days, most vendors are lazy and don't.

In fact, one of my favorite abusive merchant practices, trying to require
ID, is expressly prohibited:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/BM-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

Page 5-14, sec. 5.8.4, "Additional Cardholder Identification".

They're allowed to ask, you're allowed to refuse, and absent a good
reason, they're not allowed to refuse your transaction.  Now, if your
signature doesn't match or something else is particularly fishy, yes,
then they should require it, but they cannot require it by default for
all transactions they process.

That and a "minimum charge" are among the two most common merchant
violations I see.

For MasterCard violations, report them!

http://www.mastercard.us/support/merchant-violations.html

... JG