Password safes &c. (was: Dear Linkedin,)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jun 9 19:43:20 UTC 2012

---- Original Message -----
> From: "Lyndon Nerenberg" <lyndon at orthanc.ca>

> The only way to ensure your personal passwords are never compromised
> is to kill yourself after destroying all physical copies of those
> passwords. While ultimately secure, you won't be able to do your daily
> online banking.

No, but on the positive side, the issue will be less pressing to you.

User-side authentication security is a multi-dimensional problem, and it
is probably not theoretically possible to optimize any given instance for
all of the possible vectors simultaneously.  Different individuals need
to make their own threat estimate, and decide what approach they want to
take to it.

Of course, 95% of the affected audience wouldn't know what the phrase
"threat estimate" meant, even if you threatened them.

Cheers,
-- jra