Dear Linkedin,

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Jun 8 19:48:38 UTC 2012

Linkedin has a blog post that ends with this sage advice:

  * Make sure you update your password on LinkedIn (and any site that you visit on the Web) at least once every few months.

I have accounts at probably 100's of sites. Am I to understand that I am supposed to remember
each one of them and dutifully update them every month or two?

  * Do not use the same password for multiple sites or accounts.

So the implication is that I have 100's of passwords all unique and that I must
change every one of them to be something new and unique every few months.
And remember each of them. And not write them down.

  * Create a strong password for your account, one that includes letters, numbers, and other characters.

And that each of those passwords needs to be really hard to guess that I change to every
few months on 100's of web sites.

I'm sorry, my brain doesn't hold that many passwords. Unless you're a savant, neither does
yours. So what you're telling me and the rest of the world is impossible.

What's most pathetic about this is that somebody actually believes that we all really
deserve this finger wagging.

Mike