AAAA's for www.netflix.com

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Jun 7 23:14:32 UTC 2012

well, something appears to be working..

http://www.betterbroadbandblog.com/2012/06/world-ipv6-daywe-have-liftoff/

Netflix moved up to second in the IPv6 list – as noted above, Netflix has
been rolling out IPv6 coverage over the last few weeks.  Interestingly, it
appears as if Netflix may have created its own IPv6-specific domain which
is responsible for almost a third of all IPv6 traffic. If this is the case
it might not be in full compliance with the spirit of World IPv6 Day, as
the aim should have been for Netflix to operate one single domain with both
AAAA records for IPv6 and A records for IPv4.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <20120607165818.GA30416 at srv03.cluenet.de>, Daniel Roesen
> writes:
> > On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:52:29AM -0600, Dave Temkin wrote:
> > > Just to close the loop on this - UltraDNS has an issue with CNAMEs and
> > > their Directional DNS service.  We (Netflix) have applied a workaround
> and
> > > it appears stable.
> >
> > Hm, looking at http://v6launch.ripe.net/, whatever you changed didn't
> > improve visibility of the AAAA, but decreased it.
>
> TTL's of zero don't help.  The A query has a TTL of 3600 in the
> response the AAAA query has a zero TTL.  This is rocket science.
> This isn't hard to do correctly.  How to handle CNAMEs has been
> specified 1/4 of a century.
>
> > Best regards,
> > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr at cluenet.de -- dr at IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
> >
> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com