LinkedIn password database compromised

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 16:12:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2012, at 2:14 AM, Aaron C. de Bruyn wrote:
>
>> Imaging signing up for a site by putting in your email and pasting
>> your public key.
>>

> I'm imagining my mother trying this, or trying to help her change it after the hard drive dies and the media in the safe deposit box doesn't read anymore.

Or having to deal with family tech support, along the lines of

"You said you pasted it exactly."

"But I did. I've spent hours trying to watch that movie. I don't know
why it isn't working."

"But you {added a period at the end / didn't include the  line wrap /
added a space at the beginning / etc}"

"Oh. Does that matter"

For more joy, imagine debugging such issues over the phone. At least I
can say that my Mother (God rest her soul) would never
have indulged in such foolery. She would have just called the company
to send a technician in to send the email for her.

Regards
Marshall