ipv6 book recommendations?

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Wed Jun 6 15:00:02 UTC 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:53 AM, Anton Smith wrote:

> <snip>

> Hi all,
>
> Potentially silly question but, as Bill points out a LAN always occupies a /64.
>
> Does this imply that we would have large L2 segments with a large
> number of hosts on them? What about the age old discussion about
> keeping broadcast segments small?
>
> Or, will it be that a /64 will only typically have a similar number of
> hosts in it as say, a /23|4 in the IPv4 world?
>
> Cheers,
> Anton

Now you have deduced the beauty of the scheme.  The number of end points does not matter to IPv6 address planning.

Said another way - my factory subnet may have a gazillion(1) little machines on one subnet while my data center boxes may have several subnets. Just count the subnets.  Let the traffic/technology drive the use per subnet whilst you TRILL(2) a pretty tune.

Note (1)  Gazillion < 2^64
Note (2)  Thanks, Radia

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com