IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 14:58:05 UTC 2012

Does anyone know the reason /64 was proposed as the size for all L2 domains?
I've looked for this answer before, never found a good one.  I thought I
read there are some L2 technologies that use a 64 bit hardware address,
might have been Bluetooth.  Guaranteeing that ALL possible hosts could live
together in the same L2 domain seems like overkill, even for this group.
/80 would make more sense, it does match up with Ethernet MACs.  Not as easy
to compute, for humans nor processors that like things in 32 or 64 bit
chunks however.  Anyone have a definite answer?

Thanks,

Chuck