Our first inbound email via IPv6 (was spam!)

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Tue Jun 5 14:42:43 UTC 2012

Op 5-6-2012 16:10, Livingood, Jason schreef:
> In preparation for the World IPv6 Launch, inbound (SMTP) email to the
> comcast.net domain was IPv6-enabled today, June 5, 2012, at 9:34 UTC.
> Roughly one minute later, at 9:35:30 UTC we received our first
>   inbound email over IPv6 from 2001:4ba0:fff4:1c::2. That first bit of mail
> was spam, and was caught by our Cloudmark messaging anti-abuse platform
> (the sender attempted a range of standard spam tactics in subsequent
> connections).
>
> In the past several hours we have of course seen other messages from a
> range of hosts, many of which were legitimate email ­ so it wasn't just
> spam! ;-)
>
> Since the Internet is of course more than just the web, we encourage
> others to start making non-HTTP services available via IPv6 as well.

I always wondered why (ISPs) never started with rolling out IPv6 email
servers first, the fallback from 6 to 4 is transparent and invisible to
the end user at a delay of a maximum of 30 seconds.

I enabled v6 for my email before my website since the impact if it
didn't work on the 1st try was almost nil.

Still waiting for the 1st Country to top Romania' 6% deployment. I'm
sure we can do better then 0.21.

IMHO Asking users if they want IPv6 is the wrong way round, you enable
IPv6 and then allow for opt-out in the service portal.

That's basically what the Romanian ISP did. They have not gone bankrupt
either, so maybe it's not all as bad as we think.

Cheers,

Seth