Questions about anycasting setup

Mehmet Akcin mehmet at akcin.net
Mon Jun 4 17:37:10 UTC 2012

On Jun 3, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Anurag Bhatia wrote:
>> I tried doing anycasting with 3 nodes, and seems like it didn't worked well
>> at all. It seems like ISPs prefer their own or their customer route (which
>> is our transit provider) and there is almost no "short/local route" effect.
>
> Correct.  That's why you need to use the same transit providers at each location.

It could be a nightmare to try to balance the traffic when you are using different providers.

You can go ahead and try using path prepending but you will always find some strangeness going on regardless.

As Bill mentioned using the same transit will help, especially if you use a transit provider that has some communities pre-defined which will allow you to automatically advertise or not (even geographically) , and path prepend by simply sending communities out , you will save lots of time.

Mehmet