IPv6 day and tunnels

Joel Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Mon Jun 4 14:16:32 UTC 2012

On Jun 4, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Any firewall/security device manufacturer that says it is will not get any
> business from me (or anyone else who considers their requirements
> properly before purchasing).

Unfortunately many technology people seem to have the idea, "If I don't understand it, it's a hacker" when it comes to network traffic.  And often they don't understand ICMP (or at least PMTU).  So anything not understood gets blocked.  Then there is the Law of HTTP...

The Law of HTTP is pretty simple: Anything that isn't required for *ALL* HTTP connections on day one of protocol implementation will never be able to be used universally.

This includes, sadly, PMTU.  If reaching all possible endpoints is important to your application, you better do it via HTTP and better not require PMTU.  It's also why protocols typically can't be extended today at any layer other than the "HTTP" layer.

As for the IETF trying to not have people reset DF...good luck with that one...besides, I think there is more broken ICMP handling than there are paths that would allow a segment to bounce around for 120 seconds...