IPv6 day and tunnels

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Mon Jun 4 02:19:57 UTC 2012

Cameron Byrne wrote:

> #1 don't tunnel unless you really need to.

Tunnels are ipv4 only now?

> #2 see #1
>
> #3 use happy eyeballs, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555, Chrome has
> a good implementation, but this does not solve MTU issues.

Because the initial connections are made just fine.

PMTUD with probing should work, but does not seem to. Probably a (lack
of) deployment issue.

> #4 MSS hacks work at the TCP layer and still work regardless of IPv4 or IPv6.

But the equipment needs to support it. Again IPv6 lags.

> #5  According to the IETF, MSS hacks do not exist and neither do MTU
> issues http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg12933.html

Thanks for that. I expect soon tunnels wont either.

> PSA time:  Please use http://test-ipv6.com/ and pass this good advice
> around to the people you know.

Excellent site/tool.

> Thanks,