Wacky Weekend: The '.secure' gTLD

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 1 06:03:06 UTC 2012

> I think this is an interesting concept, but i don't know how well it will
> hold up in the long run.  All the initial verification and continuous
> scanning will no doubtingly give the .secure TLD a high cost relative to
> other TLD's.

Right.  But your "high cost" is relative to dime-a-dozen vanity domains
and/or domains for small/tiny businesses.  That's not their target market.

How much would it be worth to a bank if they could keep a few of their
customers from being scammed?  How much would it be worth to an ISP if they
could keep a few of their customers from being phished?  For starters, just
consider the support costs.

Here is a note from a different context that says it only costs $99 for
Verisign to certify you to sign secure-boot stuff for Windows 8, so I think
that's the right ballpark.
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

I'm assuming that the hard part is the initial verification, not the ongoing
monitoring that can be automated.  YMMV.  I might be all wet.  ...

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.