HE.net BGP origin attribute rewriting

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Jun 1 00:50:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:26:29PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 31/05/2012 11:23, Daniel Suchy wrote:
> > In my experience, there're not so many service providers
> > doing that.
>
> Plenty of providers do it.  IIWY, I would universally rewrite origin at
> your ingress points to be the same; otherwise you'll find that providers
> will merely use it as a means of influencing the bgp best path decision
> algorithm so that they end up with more of your traffic, and can
> consequently charge you more.  There are many useful ways to build a
> multi-exit discrimination policy.  Using origin is not one of them, in my
> opinion.

I never encountered someone I paid doing this, but infrastructure-cheap
peers who stretched virtual circuits to meet peering point requirements
then tried to attract traffic away from those links were doing it for
years. I had the policy to overwrite peer's origin if they were
inconsistant at will for 6079 in the early 2000s.

--
         RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE / NewNOG