Rate shaping in Active E FTTx networks

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Jul 27 12:01:45 UTC 2012

On 7/26/2012 11:21 PM, Erik Muller wrote:
> I've seen a few deployments using Packeteer's (now BlueCoat)
> PacketShaper for this purpose; the only downside I've heard with that
> platform is cost.  Sandvine and Fortinet are a couple other options
> that have different approaches, but have a lot of this functionality
> rolled in alongside their broader security services.

For shaping flexibility and real DPI, Procera PacketLogic is an order of
magnitude (and throughput) beyond Packeteer (speaking as a current user
of the former and a former user of the latter).  I know their higher-ed
distribution is substantial (for those that shape by policy).  There are
other "fair game" shaping appliances (NetEqualizer) if you just want to
give everyone equal access to whatever bandwidth remains.  But for real
application inspection, the traditional players (Packeteer, Allot, etc)
today just tell you that yes, 80-90% of your traffic is HTTP protocol,
now what?

Jeff