Comcast cable modem software update push

Jeremy listbox at unix-boy.com
Sun Jul 22 19:49:30 UTC 2012

On 7/22/2012 2:56 PM, Dave Sotnick wrote:
> Dear Nanog Users,
>
> I have recently been plagued by intermittent lockups on my Motorola
> BitSurfer 6121 cable modem, which I purchased based on Comcast's lists
> of recommended devices, and having good experience with Motorola
> products in the past. There's a good discussion on this topic here:
> http://goo.gl/SfHdh
>
> My technical question for the group is: When I finally talk to Comcast
> Tier 2 this week, what do I need to tell them to convince them that
> pushing out an update to SB6121 modems is a good idea? They seem
> convinced the onus is on Motorola to provide updates. This is not how
> DOCSIS 3.0 works!
>
> FWIW, the installed OS is 1.0.3.3 dated Aug 12 2010. The most recent I
> have heard of is 1.0.6.6. Apparently this fixes the lockups.
>
> Any tips greatly appreciated.
>
> -Dave

Dave,

/lurk mode off

Each MSO has its own procedures for reviewing and certifying firmware
for their networks.  The various DOCSIS features work with varying
levels of success on different code revisions, so the testing tends to
be extensive.   When I worked at an MSO in my previous position, the
process would be to lab test and then field soak for several months
prior to releasing an update.  Even then, we would still be bitten by
bugs with strange trigger conditions.  Assuming that process is the same
at Comcast, you are likely to have little success in convincing them to
speed up the deployment of new code, especially if the DOCSIS
engineering group has not completed testing and fully vetted the code.

You best bet is simply to see if there is newer code available that they
have approved.   Just for comparison, I have a Moto Surfboard 6121
attached to TWC and I'm on firmware version 1.0.5.1 dated 12/21/2010
(possibly installed when I was still a Cox customer).

/lurk on

Jeremy