Comcast cable modem software update push

Dave Sotnick sotnickd-nanog at ddv.com
Sun Jul 22 18:56:05 UTC 2012

Dear Nanog Users,

I have recently been plagued by intermittent lockups on my Motorola
BitSurfer 6121 cable modem, which I purchased based on Comcast's lists
of recommended devices, and having good experience with Motorola
products in the past. There's a good discussion on this topic here:
http://goo.gl/SfHdh

My technical question for the group is: When I finally talk to Comcast
Tier 2 this week, what do I need to tell them to convince them that
pushing out an update to SB6121 modems is a good idea? They seem
convinced the onus is on Motorola to provide updates. This is not how
DOCSIS 3.0 works!

FWIW, the installed OS is 1.0.3.3 dated Aug 12 2010. The most recent I
have heard of is 1.0.6.6. Apparently this fixes the lockups.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

-Dave