using "reserved" IPv6 space

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Jul 17 22:57:27 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18 00:47, Seth Mattinen wrote:
[..]
>>> Here's a calculator that will generate a random one for you:
>>>
>>> http://bitace.com/ipv6calc/
>>
>> A random one indeed, because the javascript for it is just:
[..]
>> does not follow RFC4193 in any way at all. A such do not use it.
>>
>> The original real RFC4193 ULA generator script can be found at:
>>  http://www.kame.net/~suz/gen-ula.html
>>
>> google(ipv6 ula) for another page, that has been referenced often enough
>> on this very list already, if you want to 'register' it there to avoid
>> another small chance of collision, that page also uses the script from
>> the above site for a true RFC4193 prefix.
>>

> Oh well, so much for the googles.

Yes, it is a shame that the bitace thing references RFC4193 and then
does not use it. Lets Bcc: them and see if they act upon, you never know
if they fix things or not, there are good guys still left on these
Internets.

> Still, don't make up your own squat
> range for "private" IPv6 space. Use ULA if you really want such a thing.

I am wondering what you meaning with 'squat', note that what I reference
above is real full RFC4193 calculated ULA.

The optional registration thingy is just optional for those that don't
trust probability and want to have a little more security. Also lots of
folks like to claim something as their own and well storage bits are
cheap for that little amount of info and reassures a lot of folks.

Greets,
 Jeroen