Real world sflow vs netflow?

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 17:16:11 UTC 2012

In the case of sFlow, the collector determines how to report bytes.
The sFlow agent reports the size of the sampled layer 2 frame (along
with the first 128 bytes of the frame) and the collector can choose
whether to report L2 bytes, L3 bytes, L4 bytes etc. by subtracting the
sizes of the headers. It seems likely that the sFlow collector used in
the tests was reporting L3 bytes since the numbers were in agreement
with the numbers reported by NetFlow.

Peter