Real world sflow vs netflow?

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Fri Jul 13 17:52:28 UTC 2012

Hi David,

I'm not sure that sflow is going to get your the granularity that you
are looking for. It's usually better to start more granular and then
aggregate into larger flows when you graph or reference for historic values.

Have you looked at other options, such as argus [1] to collect flow data
outside of the networking gear?

This way the networking gear can do what its primary job and flow
collection can happen elsewhere.

There's a whole argus community that discusses the information security
topics you're interested in and Carter, the guy who wrote all (?) of the
code is very responsive. Argus can also take in NetFlow flows from your
routers too.

There are obviously other tools available, that may work as well or
better, but argus is one I've been using with great success in a fairly
heavily trafficked environment.

Cheers,
Harry

[1] http://www.qosient.com/argus/