Cisco Update

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Wed Jul 11 20:04:37 UTC 2012

Joe Greco wrote:
> No, really, how bad an idea can it be to have a central database and
> a system that's allowed to remotely log in, configure, and update
> thousands of Internet-connected CPE?  I mean, talk about making an
> attractive target.

No argument against the lack of wisdom regarding this cisco thing, but...

As a botnet operator in the business of making money (and thus relying
on the availability of your botnets) why go through the bother of
compromising such system and creating a botnet (which will be rather
quickly fixed once the breach is noticed) when you can do it easily
enough sending out a simple email with the proper binary code attached,
relying on the PEBKAC paradigm. ;-)

This method has been proven to be very effective, considering many 100s
of millions of zombie computers exist.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--