U.S. spy agencies ... email for cybersecurity

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:47:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> (note, people ought to: 1) think about this on their own making up
> their own minds, 2) understand that the press has some very weird
> ideas, 3) take some better protections on their own, for their own
> security)
>
> also, I'm not judging the OP nor the reporter nor the ideas espoused
> in the article/clips...
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM, William Allen Simpson
> <william.allen.simpson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Somebody needs to give them a clue-by-four.  The private sector
>
> people keep trying, sometimes it's helped. sometimes reporters need to
> sell stories :(
>
>> already has the "Internet address where an email ... originated";
>
> it's not just email they care about :( (you knew that I think)
>
>> it's already in the Received lines.  We don't need to be informed
>> about it, we already inform each other about it.
>
> one interesting idea, that has proven out some merit over the years is
> the ability to share 'incident' data across entry points (say across
> companies, or gov'ts even) about 'bad things' that are happening.
>
> Take the case of 'spam came in from this end system to my mailserver',
> if I tell you that (or some central system that which you can query)
> you'll learn that maybe the inbound connection to you is also
> spam-rich.
>
>> And it's already delivered "at network speed."
>>

> the article sort of reads like the above scenario though... maybe it's
> NOT that, maybe it's something else entirely... it SEEMS that the
> gov't wants to help. They may be able to, they may just foul things
> up. The reporter certainly didn't leave enough details in place to
> tell :(
>
>> It is my understanding the Dept of Homeland Security already
>> cooperates in sharing government intrusion information.  We certainly
>> don't need a "U.S. spy agency" MITM to "protect the private sector."
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_%28US-CERT_program%29>
>
> you may mean? could be... the wikipedias are sometimes wrong, or so
> says the teacher of my 7yr old.
>
>> Moreover, the US is the source of most spam and malware, so the NSA
>> isn't really going to be much help.  And the US is the source of the
>
> but hosts in the US that are botted/spamming, also spam/bot other
> things outside the US, right? so really who cares where the src is,
> get some data collection points up and use that data to inform your
> security policy, no? (sure, you'll have to have some smarts, and some
> smart people, and be cautious... but you'd do that anyway, right? :) )
>
> These folks have some awesome tech for that sort of data collection
> and analysis:
>  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHERIFF>
>
> it's a shame that their parent company can't find a way to monetize
> that sort of thing. (the article there talks about some older version
> of the system, which is still alive/well today doing fraud detection
> and was doing some IDS/anomaly-detection-like work as well for ip
> [...]

to be fair to vz/mci here, an offline reader pointed me to:
<http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2011/verizon-teams-with-northrop.html>

hey lookie, they sold one :) (hopefully for the sheriff folks, they
can do more of this, it really is cool)