job screening question

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Tue Jul 10 11:05:34 UTC 2012

On 7/10/12 6:56 AM, Bret Clark wrote:

> Hence the reason he mentioned "skilled" person...

Right. A skilled person knows not to commit to anything in a meeting, or
to at least validate what they think before they open their mouth.
Depends on the audience, of course.

At least in my environment, there is not an expectation for someone to
be able to rattle off technical specifics from memory on demand - I've
got an iPad and Google for that. General concepts and
functionality/limitations/whatever are great in that setting, but no one
asks for the level of detail that takes 30 minutes to research and
digest in a meeting. The ability to remember obscure command line
arguments, or parts of a protocol header don't have much value, when you
can look it about 10 seconds.

Anyone else noticed their memory has gotten worse since Google came
along? :)

David