FYI Netflix is down

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Mon Jul 9 12:07:14 UTC 2012

     Hi,

     Well depending on your "black box", your millage will vary.

     Their wide use of ASIC eliminate a lot of the headache of pure
software implementation.

         Buffer, timing, expected results, etc.

     Their "real" sofware only represent a small part of the device and
is mostly relegated to management and some L4 to L7 handling.

     So yes, ASIC/FPGA devices have "software" their result and behavior
are predictable and the system is more stable because of it.

     PS: Yes, CAM lockout, bad RAM is still a pita for them.

In short:

     It is quite a thing to say that because everything can be
categorized as "software" that someone point is invalid.

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443