job screening question

Mattias Ahnberg mattias at ahnberg.pp.se
Sun Jul 8 14:46:03 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-08 00:58, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> "What's the problem with using 255.255.255.247 as a subnet mask if you
> want to make a LAN subnet with 12 hosts?"
>   (5 word answer)

I don't much appreciate these types of questions where you expect an exact
answer based on your own phrasing/ideas. If running through a form with
questions like this, leave space for open-ended answers to give the person
a chance to phrase and explain in his own ways.

Don't let the final "pass" or "no pass" fall to a HR person who can't fully
appreciate or know the details and see the actual clue in an unexpected
answer. You might lose a lot of really good candidates by being too harsh on
that.

Its benefical to build a team of clued people with the right personality,
interest and mentality to what they do rather than seek people who has
taught themselves how to answer certification tests in a way they know
the creator of the test expects them. :)

Hire for attitude, train for skill!
--
/ahnberg.