job screening question

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 01:03:43 UTC 2012

<snip>....
> "When a number received in an IP packet is presented in
> network byte
> order,  and the host architecture is big endian, what
> must be done to
> convert the number into host byte order?"
> (one word answer)

My response would be to have a field-day with HR talking about MSB and LSB.
Certainly wouldn't be a one-word answer. So HR disqualifies me?

> "What's the problem with using 255.255.255.247 as a subnet
> mask if you
> want to make a LAN subnet with 12 hosts?"
>   (5 word answer)

My response would be: Discontiguous subnet masks were allowed in the pre-CIDR era. If you so desire, give me about 2 hours since I do not have a scientific calculator handy; and I will get back to you with the complete-list.

Definitely not 5 words as required from the HR stand point. So I get disqualified again!

./Randy