job screening question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jul 7 18:33:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:
> * If you're going to have to carefully examine each candidate's answers
>   *anyway*, why not just get on the phone screen with them in the first
>   place, and get HR out of the picture?  At least that way you're not
>   wasting money paying for HR people, and you can do a far more in-depth
>   interview because you're there, in real-time, to ask follow-up questions.

I don't know about you but my brain doesn't switch on a dime. I have
to *prepare* to conduct a phone interview. And afterward I have to
spool back up on whatever task I was working on. If a screening
question can cut many candidates who I'll know in 5 minutes aren't the
one, that saves me a lot more time than just the 5 minutes on the
phone.

Plus, frankly, I don't enjoy conducting interviews. It's necessary but
I find it stressful. Where I can avoid it with minimal risk of missing
the individual I actually want to hire, that makes me happy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004