job screening question

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Jul 7 04:00:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, George Herbert wrote:

> If people don't bother to clean up the resume, either they don't
> understand what's relevant now, or they don't care, or they're trying
> to hide something.

Or they want to show they've been doing it long enough that they have
experience working with older gear younger people may not have even heard
of.  I have experience with Portmasters, Pipelines, and home built Linux
multiport dialup PPP servers.  None are relevant today.  IMO, at least the
latter demonstrates some skills.  Rolling your own 80-port dialup
server in 1995 wasn't just "yum install dialup-server" :)

I don't mention Portmasters or Pipelines on my resume, but I do have
Livingston and Ascend in the list of [many obsolete] router brands I have
experience with.  Is that really totally irrelevant now?

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |