job screening question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 6 01:09:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Randy <randy_94108 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 7/5/12, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> The less precise answer, path MTU discovery breaks, is just
>> fine.
>
> Precisely! and if I understand correctly, a non-techinical person
> within HR is expected to hear this answer and relay it to you?
> That is more than a long shot. Unless of course they have
> photographic memories, are great typists or perhaps do
>"short hand".

So I get a garbled answer about disk fragmentation. I can't tell the
difference between an answer garbled in transit and an answer that was
flat wrong to begin with?

The point of the question is to help me decide which people I want to
spend half an hour on the phone with and which ones get a polite
thank-you-not-it from HR while I do the parts of my job that don't
involve interviewing folks. If there's any doubt about whether they
belong in the not-it category, they proceed to the phone interview.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

P.S. Yes, I got an answer about "degrading DNS port unreachables and
MTU disk fragmenting as well." I asked HR to set up a phone interview.
If that wasn't an HR garble, I *really* want to hear the explanation.
:D

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004