job screening question

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 6 00:22:49 UTC 2012

I would use questions such as the following:

1.	How many end-sites can be numbered from a single /32.
		(Correct answers: IPv4 - 1, IPv6 - 65,536)
2.	In what circumstance might you need to use IPSEC to secure OSPF
		instead of MD5 authentication?
3.	How many /32s can be created from a single /24?
		(Hint, this answer is the same for IPv4 and IPv6)
4.	What is the purpose of an IP address such as ::ffff:192.0.2.123?
5.	What is the reason for the 100m distance limit within an ethernet collision domain?

The essay questions can wait for the interview if they get past these basics.

Owen