F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jul 5 19:32:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:26:22AM -0700, Roy wrote:

> Remember OpenTime is only for people who want their system clocks to
> ignore leap seconds.  I don't include myself among the possible users of
> OpenTime.

Obviously you need a machine time, which is monotonous, high-resolution
(you don't need too many bits even if you resolve down to Planck time
and gigayears) and works on any planetary body or in space at any speed,
and a human time, which is dynamically derived from machine time, using
algorithms depending on particular location and occasion.

The sooner we can separate the machine time from people time, the better.