Cisco Update

Jeff Johnstone jj at diamondtech.ca
Thu Jul 5 19:24:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:

> > Technical users could always just flash DD-WRT onto the device and =
> > replace the Linksys/Cisco firmware; then you have a much more robust =
> > system without any big brother stuff.
>
> Or Cisco could just omit the big brother stuff.
>
> This is not a technological failure.  In fact, automatic updates of
> router firmware are overdue.  Good job on that front.
>
> It is the implications of your router dictating to you what sort of
> uses might be acceptable and what is not that's troubling, and that
> seems to have happened on several levels in this product.
>
> ... JG

This is what has me thinking about shorting Cisco stock. When the legal
implications of this hit the FCC <http://www.fcc.gov/>,
EFF<http://www.eff.org>,
or here in Canada the  CRTC <http://www.crtc.gc.ca>, the shouts will begin.
This breaks all sorts of regulations about privacy and I'm sure a few other
product sales laws in the different countries where the products are sold.
Interesting times we live in....

cheers
Jeff