F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 5 17:42:01 UTC 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 09:33:05AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>>>

>>> I'm only at (aproxamately) 42.28755874876601 north. Once you go near 60 north the value changes significantly.
>>>
>>> There is a band of latitudes where it does make more sense.
>>
>> Why punish the rest of us to accommodate a few people who live between about 50º and 55º latitude?
>
> (easier typing with a real keyboard)...
>
> This is a local/states rights issue imho :)  AZ ignores DST and as a result
> I never know what time it is there ;)
>
> This is a local state-by-state and county-by-county issue as evidenced
> by the behavior of counties in Indiana that are close to or within
> the Chicago MSA.  This is more a social issue than anything else.
>
> Many people prefer some daylight when they are not working.

As do I... Which, if we simply go with PDT all year long, I'd basically have most of the year. I don't get that with standard time during winter anyway and PDT wouldn't help with that.

Daylight time does not add length to the daylight period of the day, it merely reduces the time between wake-up and daylight for some portion of winter time. (Standard time has become the anomaly with daylight savings time being practiced for nearly 8 months each year now).

I'm fine with leaving all the clocks permanently on daylight time. Just get rid of the twice-a-year timezone shift. I don't care what timezone we pick, just pick one and stick with it.

Owen