job screening question

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Thu Jul 5 17:16:49 UTC 2012

That's a horrible question for a non-technical HR person to pose to a
candidate - It's impossible for the candidate to ask clarifying
questions to make sure they understand what you are looking for, plus
you may have a strong candidate who gets it wrong (for whatever reason),
but if they were talking to a technical person you would realize they
were 99% of the way there. What if they said "it would cause the
generation of port-unreachable ICMP packets to cease, and applications
may hang until they timeout"? Not the answer you're looking for, but not
wrong either.

I leave HR to their standard screening stuff, and do the technical part
myself. Less chance to skip over a good candidate, even if it takes a
bit longer in the whole process.