F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Jul 3 20:52:56 UTC 2012

In a message written on Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:47:52PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Notice that in inertial frame dragging context it's provably
> impossible to synchronize oscillators. Luckily, Earth has
> negligible frame dragging, for the kind of accuracy we
> currently need.

I think everyone on this list is going in the wrong direction with
this issue.  What you're all arguing over is the "correct time" for
some defintion of "correct".

I'm a bit more practical.  How about we write software so a leap
second doesn't crash everything?  We can then allow the time nuts
get back to arguing which leap seconds we should use, or time
reference, or whatever.

I'd even take off by a second but didn't crash, over crashed.