Fwd: Re: F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:53:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:35:00 -0400, shawn wilson said:

> and makes it really unreliable - GPS time is *not* earth time and we rely
> on that skew for everything. To that point, I hate to think how many
> missile tests it took them to figure that one out :)

Actually, GPS time is pretty ugly mathematically, as it has to make
relativistic corrections for time dilation due to speed of the satellites
and for gravity-well dilation (which are in opposite directions).

You don't want to go there in a world where programmers still
get the 400 rule for leap years wrong. ;)