F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 3 09:03:10 UTC 2012

DST is a time-zone specific phenomenon.

Leap seconds are changes to the actual core time. UTC moves with leap seconds.

It doesn't move with DST or other timezone weirdnesses.

The system clock needs to be UTC, not UTC ± some offset stuck somewhere that keeps some form of running tally of the current leap second offset since the epoch.

Owen