FYI Netflix is down

James Downs egon at egon.cc
Mon Jul 2 23:03:58 UTC 2012

On Jul 2, 2012, at 1:20 PM, david raistrick wrote:

> Amazon resources are controlled (from a consumer viewpoint) by API - that API is also used by amazon's internal toolkits that support ELB (and RDS..).   Those (http accessed) API interfaces were unavailable for a good portion of the outages.

Right, and other toolkits like boto. Each AZ has a different endpoint (url), and as I have no resources running in East, I saw no problems with the API endpoints I use. So, as you note, US-EAST Region was "not controllable".

> I know nothing of the netflix side of it - but that's what -we- saw. (and that caused all us-east RDS instances in every AZ to appear

And, if you lose US-EAST, you need to run *somewhere*. Netflix did not cutover www.netflix.com to another Region. Why not is another question.

-j