juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

Matt Craig matcraig at nmsu.edu
Tue Jan 24 09:50:37 CST 2012

They are competing in some things.  There are differences that will make you choose ASR1000 over MX
series, but alot of people are choosing either one of the other for many of the same jobs, mainly
upgrading to straight-forward L3 1/10 gig aggregation.  I know some people who've had ASR1000s and
MXs on the plate and chose the MXs.  I've also known some who's chosen the ASR1000s.  It just really
depends on what you need.

Actually something as an alternative to both I am researching is the Brocade MLX series.  They have
different, more efficient, and refreshing architecture; and phenomenal cost (half the cost of
ASR1000/MX or less).  Gonna do a trial shortly to see if it all lives up to the marketing or if its
too good to be true.  I also know some peer institutions who have dumped both Cisco and Juniper for
Brocade's Ethernet/IP lines.  Not a single bad word so far.

Matt